The common cold/flu - viral infections happen.
Viruses nestle in through the nose-sinuses and throat by way of one's hand or air droplets.
A main symptom that strikes alarm is that of having a fever.
A fever of of up to 39°C (102°F) is considered a necessary body response for the body to combat viruses and help the body to eliminate toxins. A fever that stays below 41°C (104°F) will not cause neurological damage, however, if a fever persists for more than 4 days, seed medical help.
Here are a few suggestions to consider if you, or one you are caring for, have a viral infection.
- Keep the diet simple as to not burden your digestive system with extra work. The digestive system includes your liver, and if your liver is busy trying to aid in digestion it will not be efficient to help flush out toxins.
- Drink lots of fluids. Diluted juices, water, popsicles, herbal tea and bone broths.
- Reduce refined sugars and processed foods.
- Avoid dairy. Dairy produces mucous in our body. Mucous is a protective response our body makes to protect itself. Reducing extra work for the body helps it clear the viruses more efficiently.
- Increase allium vegetables such as garlic and onions. They are anti-viral in nature and are a easy addition to any meal...and bone broths.
- Avoid known food sensitivities.
- High Quality Multi - A high quality Multi should have all the essential nutrients for boosting and maintaining a healthy immune system: Vitamin A, B-Carotene, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6 Vitamin B12, Folate, Biotin, Vitamin C, Bioflavonoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Copper, Selenium, Zinc, Coenzyme Q10, Alpha-Lipoic Acid.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid - Up to 3000mg per day for immune support. Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish (preferably anchovy and sardine sources in supplement form and wild caught fish) and flax seed oil can provide you with healthy amounts of anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) - Naturally increases your endogenous glutathione levels.
- Vitamin C - Known as the Master Antioxidant that supports all aspects of our immune system.
- Zinc - Supports the immune system in conjunction with Vitamin C.
- Beta-Carotene - the body uses this to produce Vitamin A, which helps heal mucous membranes.
Giving your body what it needs everyday is the most important action step you can do to help you stay as healthy as possible.
Helping you discover your Inner Physician,
Your Holistic Nutritional Consultant